Acne scars can be a source of embarrassment and self-consciousness for many people, but microneedling treatments can offer hope for smoother and clearer skin. However, the care you give your skin after a microneedling treatment can significantly affect the results you see. Knowing the dos and don’ts of aftercare is crucial to ensure optimal results and avoid potential complications.
So we’ll look closer at how to care for your skin after an acne scar microneedling treatment, including the essential dos and don’ts you need to know.
Dos: How to care for your skin after an acne scar microneedling treatment
Keep your skin clean.
After an acne scar microneedling treatment, it is crucial to keep your skin clean to prevent infection and irritation. Use a delicate cleanser to wash your face twice a day. Avoid harsh soaps or scrubs that can cause further damage to your skin. Instead, use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser suitable for sensitive skin.
- Use a gentle cleanser: Choose a cleanser specifically prepared for susceptible skin and does not contain harsh chemicals or fragrances. Look for products labeled as non-comedogenic, which means they will not clog your pores.
- Wash your face twice daily: Wash your face in the morning and before bed. Use lukewarm water to avoid irritation, and gently stroke the cleanser into your skin for 30 seconds before rinsing thoroughly.
Apply a healing ointment.
To help your skin heal after microneedling, it is recommended to apply a healing ointment. Your aesthetician will recommend a safe and effective product for your skin type and the specific treatment you received.
- Use a product recommended by your aesthetician: The products recommended by your aesthetician are specifically formulated to help your skin recover and rebound after microneedling. Do not use any other products unless advised by your aesthetician.
- Apply a thin layer to the treated area: Spread a thin coating of the ointment to the treated area after cleansing. Do not apply too much, as this can clog your pores and interfere with healing.
Protect your skin from the sun.
After microneedling, your skin is more susceptible to the sun’s rays. Sun exposure can induce further damage to your skin and delay the healing process. Protecting your skin from the sun by sporting sunscreen and avoiding direct sunlight during peak hours is essential.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher: Choose one that provides a broad-spectrum shield for UVA and UVB rays and has an SPF of 30 or higher. Spread it at least 20 minutes prior to heading outside and reapply every two hours.
- Avoid direct sunlight during peak hours: Evade direct sunlight around 10 am and 4 pm, when the sun’s rays are strongest. If you must go outside, sport a wide-brimmed hat and stay in the shadow as much as possible.
Hydrate your skin
Drinking plenty of water and utilizing a moisturizer can help preserve your skin hydrated and facilitate healing after microneedling.
- Drink plenty of water: Water can help flush toxins and improve skin through hydration.
- Use a moisturizer to maintain skin hydration: After microneedling, your skin may feel dry and tight. Use a moisturizer to maintain hydrated skin and promote healing. Look for a product devised for sensitive skin that does not possess fragrances or harsh chemicals. Spread it to your face and neck twice every day or as your aesthetician recommends.
Don’ts: What to avoid after an acne scar microneedling treatment
After an acne scar microneedling treatment, avoid certain activities that irritate or damage your skin. Here are some essential things to avoid after your treatment:
Touching or picking at the treated area
Avoid skimming or picking at the treated area, as this can present bacteria and cause infection. Additionally, touching or picking at the treated area can cause scarring and delay healing.
- Can cause infection or scarring: Touching your skin with dirty hands or tools can introduce bacteria and cause infection. Also, picking at the treated area can damage your skin and cause scarring.
- Can delay the healing process: Touching or picking at the treated area can also slow the healing process by interfering with the natural healing process of your skin. This can lead to prolonged redness, inflammation, and other complications.
Exfoliating or using harsh products
Exfoliating or using harsh products after an acne scar microneedling treatment can irritate your skin and cause further damage to the treated area. Your skin is more sensitive after microneedling, and using harsh products can interfere with the healing process.
- Can irritate the skin: Exfoliating or using harsh skincare items can aggravate your skin and cause redness, itching, and inflammation. This can prolong the healing process and increase the risk of infection.
- Can cause further damage to the treated area: Exfoliating or using harsh products can also cause further damage to the treated area, including scarring and hyperpigmentation. This can interfere with the results of your microneedling treatment and delay the healing process.
Engaging in strenuous activities
After microneedling, avoid strenuous activities that can cause sweating or increase blood flow to your face. Sweating and increased blood flow can cause irritation and inflammation, which can delay healing.
- Sweating can irritate: Sweating can cause irritation and discomfort after microneedling. It can also introduce bacteria to the treated area, leading to infection.
- Can cause inflammation and delay healing: Engaging in strenuous activities can also cause inflammation and hinder healing. This can prolong redness and swelling and interfere with the results of your microneedling treatment.
If you’re looking for an effective and practical method to recede the formation of acne scars and enhance the skin’s texture, acne scar microneedling treatment may be just what you need. However, proper aftercare ensures optimal results and avoids potential complications. Following the dos and don’ts discussed in this article, you can take the required measures to care for your skin after a microneedling approach and achieve a healthy, radiant-looking complexion.
At Source Of Health, our team with Dr. Steven Sorr can provide expert guidance on caring for your skin after an acne scar microneedling treatment. Book our services today and schedule a consultation with one of our skincare experts. Let Source Of Health be your trusted partner on your voyage to healthier, more beautiful skin.